Medication and Immunization Policies

  • Medication

    Prescribed and/or over-the-counter (OTC) medication is administered in the school setting only upon receipt of a completed School Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization Form.  This form is available in the office of the school nurse at each school.  A student’s medication will be administered only by that student’s parent/guardian, the licensed nurse or the trained Medication Assistant delegated the responsibility to assist the licensed nurse with student medications.  The parent or guardian must bring all medication to the school nurse. No student is to have in his/her possession any medication with the exception of asthma inhalers or asthma aerosol treatments and EpiPens as prescribed by a physician. With exception to autoinjector-style medications (Epi-Pens), injectable medications must be administered by the licensed nurse or the student’s parent/guardian. Under no circumstances will schools stock over the counter medications (e.g. Tylenol, Visine, and Neosporin).  Written instructions, along with the said medication and completed Medication Permission form, must be provided by parent/guardian in order for over the counter medications to be taken.  The parent/ guardian must include in writing specific complaints or conditions that this non- prescription or over the counter medication should be provided to the student.

    All prescribed medication must be delivered to the school in a current pharmacy labeled prescription container. A written note from the physician or pharmacist will be required if the dosage changes from the dosage directions printed on the prescription bottle. All OTC medications must be delivered to the school in the original, unopened, sealed container and identified with the student’s name written in permanent ink.

    All medication must be stored in the school office or nurse’s office.  Exception to this rule applies to medications prescribed to prevent or treat medical emergencies.  The licensed prescriber and the student’s parent/guardian both must authorize the student to carry his/her medication on his/her person, documenting this authorization where indicated on the School Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization form.  Authorization forms specific to students being able to carry bronchodilator type inhalers on their person and be responsible for self-medicating are available in the school nurse’s office.  Any student in possession of medication, who gives away, sells or attempts to give away or sell medication (prescribed or OTC) may be subject to suspension, probation or expulsion. Students’ medication will not be stored in the school building after the close of the school year.   The student’s parent or guardian must pick up any unused medication. Therefore, any student’s medication not picked up by the close of the school year will be properly destroyed.

     Immunization Policy

    All students enrolling in the Fort Payne City School System must show proof of immunization in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the State of Alabama Department of Public Health.  A State of Alabama Certificate of Immunization (blue slip) must be provided to the school upon registration.
    A minimum of four Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis Vaccines (DTP) are required. A minimum of three Polio Vaccines are required if the third dose is given after age four years.  The Measles, Mumps and Rubella Vaccine are to be given on or after age one year and another in thirty days. The Varicella Vaccine is due at age one year or the date of disease is to be entered on the form.
    Beginning with the 2010-2011 school year, a booster dose of tetanus-diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) will be required for Alabama students ages 11 or 12 years entering the 6th grade. This requirement will escalate by one successive grade each year for the following 6 years to include sixth through twelfth grades, beginning fall of 2016.

Head Lice and Meningitis Information

  • Head Lice Policy

    The Fort Payne City School System has a nit-free head lice policy.  Once a student is known to have head lice, the parent will be notified and the student sent home.  The student cannot attend school until after he/she has been treated with a lice killing product and all nits are removed from the hair.
    The student who is given proper treatment and is louse/nit free is permitted to return to school the next day.  No more than a three day absence will be considered excused. The student must be brought to the school office before he/she may return to class.  A student cannot ride a school bus or attend class until he/she has been cleared to return to school by school personnel.

    Meningitis Information

    What is meningococcal disease?
    Meningococcal disease is a serious illness, caused by bacteria. It is the leading cause of bacterial meningitis in children 2-18 years old in the United States.

    How do you catch the disease?
    The bacteria that causes meningococcal diseases is very common. The disease is most common in children and people with certain medical conditions that affect their immune system. College freshman living in dormitories also have increased risk of getting the disease. The disease is spread through exchange of respiratory droplets or saliva with an infected person including kissing, coughing, sneezing, and sharing drinking glasses and eating utensils. In a few people, the bacteria overcome the body’s immune system and pass through the lining of the nose and throat into the blood stream where they cause meningitis. Meningitis is a term that describes inflammation of the tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord. 
    What are the symptoms of the disease?
    ·         Fever
    ·         Headache
    ·         Stiff Neck
    ·         Red Rash
    ·         Drowsiness
    ·         Nausea and Vomiting
    Meningococcal vaccine: Who should get the vaccine and when?
    MCV4, or the meningococcal vaccine, is recommended for all children 11-12 years of age and for unvaccinated adolescents at high school entry (15 years of age). High school seniors should also consider obtaining the vaccine prior to entering college, especially if they are planning on living in a dormitory. Please consult your physician or local health department for more information.